A beautiful, charming and disarming smile is invariably associated with white and sparkly teeth. White and bright teeth are directly linked to an individual’s self-confidence, and eventually, overall psychological well-being. Yellow teeth not only hamper self-confidence but also indicate trouble in oral and overall health. Interestingly, several celebrities have sworn that strawberries, apples, crunchy veggies like celery and chewing gums have done wonders to their pearly whites. Brushing with Baking Soda is also one of the quick ways to retain tooth enamel. Lemon rinds, orange peels and banana peels also do some natural bleaching. Read on to unravel the causes of yellowing teeth and fight tooth decay from the root!
Yellow Teeth… How???
The biggest role played in the colour of the tooth is by
- Enamel- the strong white tissue covering the outer tooth; and
- Dentin- the hard yellow material that supports the enamel and carries nerves.
Staining of enamel leads to discolouration of the tooth. With age, the enamel weakens and eventually breaks, revealing the yellow colour dentin underneath.
Home remedies to whiten teeth strengthen the enamel and prevent it from further breakdown.
After all, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Vices leading to Yellowing of Teeth
Intake of caffeine, wine, cola, smoking and chewing tobacco cause discolouration and staining by damaging the enamel. Eliminating tobacco and smoking, rubbing teeth with apple cider vinegar, or opting for cosmetic dentistry methods like Veneering may help reduce or hide stains and discolouration.
- There is no specific age for discolouration or yellowing of teeth.
- Certain infections in pregnant mothers can cause teeth discolouration in the infant by affecting enamel development.
- Intake of particular antibiotics e.g. tetracycline, and antihistamines can also cause permanent yellowing or greying of teeth by affecting the pulp.
- Some accidents or trauma also damage teeth.
The solution here is cosmetic orthodontic methods like Crowning, Veneer and Bleaching. Preventing use of fluoride till enamel development in the formative years also helps.
Oral Hygiene and Discolouration of Dentures
Poor dental hygiene causes plaque that leads to the yellowing of teeth.
- Proper and regular brushing and flossing can remove food debris and thus prevent tooth damage.
- Rinsing the mouth with fluoride mouthwash after eating is beneficial.
- Regular visit to the dentist and professional cleaning can also prevent oral infection that may cause discolouration of the dental structure.
White teeth, like luscious locks, are always desired. While you use these effective and easy remedies for whiter, shinier teeth, you must know that most of the cosmetic corrective methods for discolouration are covered under Mediclaim India. Go, flash a whiter, healthier smile!
Any content, such as text, graphics, images, and any other material found on the CignaTTK Health Insurance Website is for illustrative and/or informational purposes only. This content is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice and consultation of your general physician pertaining to your medical condition(s). CignaTTK requests that you do not delay or disregard professional medical advice on the basis of what you have read or seen on the CignaTTK Website.
CignaTTK, one of the leading companies in India to offer health insurance plans, is making this health and/or medical related reading material available for suggestion purposes only. CignaTTK does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the CignaTTK Website. Reliance on any information provided by CignaTTK, CignaTTK employees, others appearing on the Website at the invitation of CignaTTK, or other visitors to the Website is solely at your own risk.